Home ii Forums Community Resources Traveling with Mom

• Traveling with Mom

Posted by murphy-ortiz on May 15, 2018 at 10:23 am

I want to take my mother to Florida with me on vacation. I am more than a little concerned about traveling with her. Between the flight, staying in a hotel, and being away from her normal routine, I feel like I need to get some information about what to expect and how to deal with problems I may encounter.

Unknown Member replied 1 year, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Unknown Member

Deleted User
    April 19, 2022 at 10:50 am

Living with Alzheimer’s or another dementia does not mean she has to stop participating in meaningful activities such as travel. However, it does require planning to ensure safety, comfort and enjoyment for everyone. Anxiety undergirds dementia even on a good day…and travel with mom is unlikely to be a good day. You have to weight out if this trip is worth it because you can’t predict what will happen, it’s usually a risk to travel with someone who has dementia. Think about how important it is for them to take the trip and whether it’s worth that risk… a significant family event that will be meaningful and memorable carries more weight than a trip just for fun. If you decided yes….You will have to give yourselves enough time to get through security calmly, yet minimize waiting time at the gate, to board the plane early and settle in while it is quiet, and then to disembark as quickly as possible when the plane lands. Call TSA Cares three days before your flight, they will set up someone greeting you at the entrance of the airport and will be with you throughout the boarding process. Be cautious when choosing seating, you want seats with more space, less commotion and book during a less busy time for travel. Plan ahead. Some examples of planning head: Evaluate options for the best mode of travel for mom. Based on her needs, abilities, safety and preferences, decide what would provide the most comfort and the least anxiety. Make sure your destination in Florida has easy access to emergency health services and pharmacies, know where to go. If you will be staying in a hotel, inform the staff ahead of time of your specific needs so they can be prepared to assist you. Have a bag of essentials with you at all times that includes medications, your travel itinerary, a comfortable change of clothes, water, snacks and activities. Remember to pack medications, up-to-date medical information, a list of emergency contacts and important legal documents. Allow extra time when planning activities for the trip. Stay as close to your normal routine as possible…keep meal and bed times on a similar schedule to that followed at home. Make sure you factor in rest time.